Most women are very drawn to water in pregnancy and delivery! Water really connects us to our earth. Our babies are floating in water prior to birth. Water has many health benefits. Of course life itself depends on water. Many of our clients choose to birth in the water. Water is the midwifes epidural!
What else should I know about water birth?
- Some circumstances do not allow for birth in the water.
- All women may labor in the tub and shower.
- We have waterproof dopplers to monitor baby’s heart rate while our clients float in the water.
- Many women wear a sports bra or swimming top for modesty.
- Most of the time the mother can stay in the tub for 20 minutes after delivery to enjoy her baby.
- Many times women deliver the placenta before getting out.
- The mother or father can deliver his or her own baby together very easily in the tub. Some fathers get in and some reach over the tub to catch the baby. The midwives are right there to give aid.
What Are The Benefits to the mother?
- Removes the weight of the uterus making the mother feel light. She is able to change positions easily.
- Supports the laboring mothers body and muscles greatly aiding in her ability to labor with less discomfort.
- The water regulates blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate.
- Decreased adrenaline and other stress hormones that can slow or stop labor while increasing discomfort.
- Circulation from the warm water makes the perineum more supple and elastic for delivery.
- Raises endorphin levels which block pain and can be as strong as many narcotics.
- Reduces stress and increases relaxation
- Increases Oxytocin levels making labor more efficient…faster!
- Decreases Pain!
Why Water Birth for Baby?
Is Water Birth Safe?