This is a pretty common question we get and the answer is YES! In fact we want you to eat in labor! No one would ever expect an athlete to run a marathon on a empty stomach so we certainly don’t expect you to labor with no food.
Labor can be long and very tiring especially for you first time mamas. This is why it is imperative you eat and hydrate for energy. Frequently moms have no desire to eat during labor. Which is why you need really focus on getting in those calories early on before things are too intense.
Because food in labor does not always sound good it is important to prepare in advance some snacks you might actually want to eat. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind.
- Choose foods that are easily digestible.
- Food that can be eaten quickly. You don’t want to be chewing during a contraction so pick things you can eat quickly in between.
- Food that maybe you crave when you are sick. Sometimes these foods are the most appealing in labor.
- It may come back up… While this is unpleasant it is very common to vomit in labor. While nothing tastes good the 2nd time you way want to avoid highly acid foods that make that experience worse (think tomatoes or orange juice).
Following these simple guidelines can help you choose foods you might actually want to eat in labor! In case you need some more ideas here are a few..
- Soup or broth
- Thinly sliced meat or sausage
- Granola bars of choice
- Honey sticks
- Electrolyte/Sports drinks (ones that have some sugar in them are good)
- Coconut water
- Iced tea
Also keep in mind your support people will get hungry and need food as well! Ask them what they would like to eat during the labor.
What are you bringing for snacks? If you have had a baby what did you eat during labor?